Exams Required to Study in UK-IELTS, PTE, GRE
The UK remains as one of the best Study Abroad destinations with around 8 UK universities in Top 100 QS World University Rankings 2022. Some of the top-ranking universities of the UK are University of Oxford, University of Cambridge, King’s College London, & University of Leeds. Universities in the UK are always interested in filtering out the best students for each course and have specific entry requirements for them also. Exams required to Study in UK like IELTS, PTE, GRE etc. also fall under entry requirements for admission into UK universities. GRE for UK, GMAT, PTE Exam in UK, & TOEFL in the UK are some of the names of entrance exams to appear for. This blog will provide you with all necessary details about the Exams required to Study in UK such as IELTS, PTE, GRE etc. Let’s find out!
What is IELTS for UKVI?
The International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is a test meant for international students who want to pursue higher studies overseas. It includes both IELTS Academic and IELTS General Training.
However, if you are applying for a UK Student visa, you have to appear for an IELTS test approved for UK Visa and Immigration (UKVI) purposes only (also known as IELTS for UKVI). This applies to every student coming from a non-native-English speaking country.
While there is no change in the content, format or level of difficulty and scoring to IELTS Academic and IELTS General Training , IELTS for UKVI simply follows certain extra security protocols to ensure the authenticity of the test applicant. Also, the Test Report Form (TRF) is slightly different from the form given for IELTS Academic or General Training.
Types of IELTS UKVI Tests
- IELTS Academic– This test is suitable for candidates speaking in an English-speaking country. It basically evaluates whether the candidate is suitable to pursue higher studies in the UK.
- IELTS for UKVI General Training– This test is suitable for candidates interested in higher education or migration. It basically evaluates survival skills in a workplace environment. Comprises listening, reading, writing and speaking skills.
- IELTS Life Skills- This test is a UK-government approved Secure English language Test (SELT ) version. Candidates who want to prove their English Speaking and listening skills can appear for this test. The skills are assessed on levels A1 and B1.
Cost of IELTS UKVI Tests
The registration fee is between 14,600 – 15,750 INR approx.
- PTE Exam in UK- Pearson Test of English (PTE) is one of the globally accepted English language proficiency tests across the world, including the UK. The PTE Academic is a computer-based English proficiency test of three hours duration approx. This exam assesses your English proficiency skills. PTE Academic UKVI analyzes all the four skills of speaking, listening, reading, & writing.
- The first segment to attempt is the combined speaking and writing section. You will get around 75-95 minutes to try it. There are a total of 8 sub-sections inside it. Then comes the Reading section, which has around 5 sub-sections inside it. It is of approx. 35-40 minutes duration. The last segment is the Listening section, and you will get approx. 45-60 minutes to finish it. The scores vary from 10 to 90. Although there are other English proficiency tests available such as IELTS & TOEFL, the PTE exam is also fast gaining popularity.
- PTE Requirements for UK- The candidate should be at least 16 years of age. He has to also obtain the consent of the parents before they appear for the PTE exam. Otherwise, if he is of age 18, parent’s consent is not needed. There is no specific educational criteria or qualifications needed to appear for the PTE exam. Only thing needed is fluency in English speaking & writing.
- PTE Exam Fee in India- The Standard registration fee for PTE Exam in India is around Rs 13,700 approx.
- List of Universities accepting PTE Scores in UK
|The University of Leicester||36-56|
|The University of Liverpool||51-62|
|The University of Essex||40-58|
|University of York||55-61|
|University of Leeds||60-64|
|University of Glasgow||59-70|
- Minimum PTE Score Requirements for UK Student Visas- Let’s see the Minimum PTE Scores required for the UK Student Visa (formerly known as Tier 4 General Student Visa)
|Type of Visa||Minimum PTE Score||PTE Test Type|
|Student’s visa (below degree level)||43 or above||PTE Academic UKVI|
|Student’s Visa (degree level and above)||59 or above||PTE Academic and PTE Academic UKVI|
TOEFL in the UK- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is also one of the leading English Proficiency tests across the globe. Before we understand how TOEFL in the UK is accepted, let’s first understand the structure of the exam. The TOEFL iBT examination consists of Listening, Reading, Writing, and Speaking sections. The TOEFL exam is totally made up of 120 points. The total duration of the exam is approx. 3.5 hours including 30 minutes for the check-in procedure. TOEFL is actually of two types of test: IBT (Internet-based test) & PBT (Paper-based test). IBT exam is taken online.
Is TOEFL accepted in the UK?
Out of all the requirements to Study in UK, students coming from non-native English-speaking countries have to undertake an English proficiency test. TOEFL is one such exam which is accepted by all leading universities of the UK. TOEFL is one of the most popular exams in the UK to determine a candidate’s English proficiency level.
How much TOEFL score is required to Study in UK?
The TOEFL exam is measured on a score range of 0-120. Each section (Reading, Writing, Speaking, & Listening) is marked on a scale of 0-30.
- Most of the renowned universities such as University of Cambridge & University of Oxford asks for a cut-off of above 100.
- The comparatively fewer famous universities ask for a 70-80 average score.
List of UK Universities accepting TOEFL Scores
|University of Bristol||70|
|University of York||79-80|
|University of Birmingham||80|
|University of Leeds||87|
|University of Liverpool||88-89|
|University of Bristol||90|
|University of Cambridge||100|
|University of Edinburgh||100|
|University of Oxford||100-110|
|University College London||92-109|
|University of Warwick||92|
|University of Leicester||90|
|University of Bath||90|
GRE for UK
GRE (Graduate Record Examination) is conducted by ETS. It is one of the important exams students have to appear while seeking admission in UK universities. The GRE exam is divided into two parts: GRE General Test & GRE Subject Test. The GRE General test examines your critical thinking, verbal reasoning, analytical writing skills, & quantitative reasoning. GRE Subject tests are used to test the preparation of the candidate for graduate school admission by measuring admission in a specific field of study. With the GRE score, students can also decide which stream MBA, MS or law they can take.
Is GRE required for the UK?
International students who aspire to Study in UK, the most common question which comes to their mind is: “ Is GRE required for the UK?” If Yes, then what is the score required and which UK universities accept GRE scores? If the applicant has never studied at any undergraduate or postgraduate level in the United Kingdom, then UK universities consider it mandatory for the candidates to appear for the GRE.
In the UK too, there are several universities and colleges that prefer GRE scores. However, for a lot of course programs GRE scores are not required by the UK universities for admission. Please note that GRE also can’t be replaced as the replacement for IELTS as an English language proficiency test. In the United Kingdom, the GRE score is widely accepted and used in Graduate college admissions.
GRE Score Requirements to Study in UK
- GRE is divided into 3 different components with a total score of 340
- Verbal Reasoning – Total scale of 170
- Quantitative Reasoning – Total scale of 170
- Analytical Writing Assessment – Total scale of 6.0
- A good GRE score is considered as 320 or above, and a higher GRE score is considered as 330 or higher than that.
Top Universities accepting GRE scores in UK
|University||GRE Required Score|
|University of Oxford||Verbal – 160Quantitative – 160 or aboveWriting – 4.0|
|Lancaster University||Verbal – 130-170Quantitative – 130-170Writing – 0-6|
|University of Sunderland||Verbal – 160Quantitative – 145Writing – NA|
|Durham University||Verbal – 150Quantitative – 161 or aboveWriting – 0-6|
|London School of Economics||Verbal – 170Quantitative – 130-170Writing – NA|
GMAT for UK
GMAT (Graduate Management Admission Test) is a standardized management entrance test to be given by candidates for admission into MBA or other management programmes in the UK. GMAT scores are also accepted for admission into other programs such as MBA, MSc, MIM etc. Although the GMAT and GRE scores have equal weightage at some UK universities, some of them however give preference to GMAT rather than GRE for admission into management programmes. High GMAT score also makes you eligible for grants and scholarships. There are also some universities in the UK that don’t give preference to GMAT scores, rather than to GRE scores & work experience.
GMAT Score Requirements to Study in UK
The Total GMAT score is in the range of 200-800. GMAT test consists of four parts:
- Verbal Reasoning
- Quantitative Reasoning
- Integrated Reasoning
- Analytical Writing Assessment
The total score is divided between Verbal Reasoning, Integrated Reasoning and Quantitative Reasoning sections. A good GMAT score is considered as 550 or above and a higher GMAT score is considered as 660 or even higher.
Top UK Universities accepting GMAT Scores
|University||Average GMAT Score|
|Judge Business School (University of Cambridge)||690|
|Imperial College Business School||600|
|Alliance Manchester Business School||600|
|London Business School||708|
|University of Oxford (Said Business School)||690|
Hope this blog post has been successful in providing you all the details about the Exams required to study in UK such as IELTS, PTE, & GRE etc. Based on your course selection and eligibility criteria, you can choose your specified exams that are needed for admission to study in UK. Please like & share this blog!
Read More- One-Year Courses in UK for Indian Students