SOLENT UNIVERSITY SOUTHAMPTON
Location: Southampton, Hampshire
Total Students: 9,910
Percentage of International Students: 14.7%
- Solent University is a comprehensive University offering programmes across five academic Schools, including the School of Art, Design and Fashion; Business, Law and Communications; Media Arts and Technology; Sport, Health and Social Sciences and through its Warsash School of Maritime Science and Engineering. Solent’s maritime courses have been ranked among the best in the world. The University generally has a growing reputation, and have been climbing the major league tables year on year – most recently reaching 81st place in the Guardian League Table in 2019.
- Solent has a strong record of research and innovation in the creative industries, with a focus on the fields of visual art and culture (history, theory and practice), music industries, screen research (film and television), and communications and creative writing.
The university’s origins can be traced back to a private School of Art founded in 1856, which eventually became the Southampton College of Art. Mergers with the Southampton College of Technology, and later the College of Nautical Studies at Warsash, led to the establishment of the Southampton Institute of Higher Education in 1984.
Southampton Institute became a university on 12 July 2005, adopting the name Southampton Solent University on 15 August 2005.[Prior to 2005, Southampton Institute provided assistance to Nottingham Trent University in its provision of business focused degrees, relating to accountancy, finance and professional ACCA qualifications. Some Nottingham Trent University certificates included Southampton Institute/Solent University stamps to indicate this agreement. In 2015 the University came to an agreement with New College of the Humanities, London whereby it will validate some of their degrees. In November 2017, the Privy Council approved the change of name of Southampton Solent University to Solent University, with effect from 2018.
All students here at Solent University have access to a range of specialist support services. Whether you are having financial difficulty, need additional help with academic skills or want advice on setting up your own business – you’ll find that help is always on hand.
Solent University and Solent Students’ Union have worked together on the Student Protect Plan, approved by the Office for Students (OfS). The plan outlines how our students are protected should there be any risks to the continuation of study or any changes made to courses and how students will be informed.
Most of the specialist support services are based around the Student Hub, a central space where you can access all of the information and support you may need during your time at University. The Student Hub is the first point of contact if you have any queries relating to your course, including questions about your timetable, options, and assessments and extenuating circumstances.
University of Shrajah was ranked as the 551st best university by QS. According to the Webometrics Ranking of World Universities the University of Sharjah is ranked 6th in the United Arab Emirates, and 3821th worldwide in 2014. The university is also ranked by SCImago Institutions Rankings in 2013 as 4th in the United Arab Emirates, 149th regionally, and 2345th worldwide. The University Ranking By Academic Performance of the same year considered it to be 3rd in the country and 1753th worldwide. The University is also ranked fifth in the United Arab Emirates by 4 International Colleges & Universities search engine in 2013.
Student accommodation is more than just a roof over your head – the place you live can have a real impact on how well you settle into university life. With five halls of residence and established links with the private rental sector, our dedicated accommodation service are here to make sure that every Solent student is happy and safe within their home.
guaranteeing accommodation in University residences for students starting in September 2020 and who choose Solent as their firm choice and apply for accommodation before June 2020.Solent’s five student residences cater to a range of requirements and are great places to work, relax and meet new friends. The majority of University-owned accommodation is reserved for first-year students, but there are also provisions for returning students, postgraduates, officer cadets and summer students.
Students living in Solent residences will be able to access the Solent Sports Complex for free. The package includes full access to the gym and fitness class programme.
Solent University has three primary locations: City, Warsash and Timsbury Lake. The City campus is in the centre of Southampton, on the east side of East Park. This campus broadly includes the Sir James Matthews building, which is situated on the far side of the park. Part of the Warsash School of Maritime Science and Engineering is on the eastern bank of the Hamble River overlooking Southampton Water, while Timsbury Lake is located in Timsbury
- William Adkin – Cricketer
- Jack Eames – Fashion photographer
- Mark Evans – CEO Telefónica UK Limited
- Paul Goodison – Olympic Gold Medalist 2008
- James Hilton – Designer associated with the AKQA agency.
- Una Nwajei – England women’s footballer
- Jenny Packham – Fashion designer
- David Quayle – Co-founder of B&Q
- Camille Lepage – French photojournalist
- Ricky Whittle – Actor
- Jonathan Ross – TV & Radio Presenter
If you are planning to study abroad in Australia and targeting this university, you can get in touch with AEC. Give us a call on +91-8448446609 or 011-43334444 to get assistance on call. You can also write a query and sent it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.