What Are the Requirements to Study in Canada in 2023?
Do you know which country is one of the best destinations for higher education? If Canada comes to mind, you are totally correct. With a great education system and plenty of job opportunities available, Canada is a top place to study. There is a huge demand from Indian Students to Study in Canada. If you are one of them aspiring to Study in Canada in 2023, you have to fulfill all the eligibility criteria. Here is the list of all the Requirements to Study in Canada in 2023.
Why Study in Canada?
- Affordable Tuition fees
- Best Quality of life
- Practical-oriented education
- Multicultural diversity
- Best place to live
- Globally recognized degrees
- Safe, peaceful country
- Bilingual country
- Possibility of Immigration
- Experience all four seasons
Application Process to Study in Canada
- Choose your university & course of your choice
- Browse the university website and check their application dates
- Fill the online application form
- Attach all the required list of documents such as school transcripts, LORs, SOPs, IELTS/TOEFL scores to your application.
- Wait for despatch of Letter of Acceptance from your DLI (Designated Learning Institutes)
- Submit the Student Permit (Visa) application
Requirements to Study in Canada in 2023 Intakes
- Letter of Acceptance by DLI- DLI means Designated Learning Institute. DLI is actually that university that’s accepted your application and now is ready to give you admission. You’ll receive a Letter of Acceptance by email after your online application has been accepted by the university. You are also required to submit a Letter of Acceptance when you’ll apply for Student Permit to Study in Canada. It generally takes 1 to 2 months to receive a Letter of Acceptance after submission of online application.
- Letter of Explanation- A Letter of Explanation is required to be submitted to the Visa Officer to Study in Canada. This makes understanding the Visa Officer you and your goals. A student has to also mention in the Letter of Explanation that they’ve applied for a Study Permit also.
- Student Permit- One of the Requirements to Study in Canada in 2023 is Study Permit. Ideally you should apply for a Study Permit at least 4 to 6 months before the semester starts. Study Permit application takes approx. 35 working days to be processed. Application fees for a Study Permit costs around 150 CAD$ or approx. 9000 INR. Once your application is analyzed & processed, you will be called for a Visa Interview.
- Proof of English Proficiency- Proof of English Proficiency is also required as one of the Requirements to Study in Canada in 2023. Most of the Canadian universities accept IELTS score as a proof of English proficiency test. However, TOEFL is also accepted and is also one of the popular choices for English proficiency tests. Generally, for a Study in Canada Student permit, IELTS test is more preferred. You’ll require an IELTS score of 6 & above for acceptance into Canadian University. TOEFL score of between 80-100 is required where TOEFL scores are accepted into Canadian universities.
- Proof of Funds- Proof of funds is one of the key requirements to be satisfied for getting a Study Permit. This proof is required to show to authorities that you’ll be able to take care of yourself to Study in Canada. Following evidence is to be presented to show your financial soundness:
- Last 4 months Bank Statements
- Payment receipts for your Tuition & Housing fees
- Loan letter from Bank if you’ve taken education loan
- Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) if any financial institution in Canada is financing your studies
- Documents if you’ve received any Scholarships/funding
- Immigration Medical Exam (IME)- Immigration Medical Exam (IME) is necessary for those students who are planning to Study in Canada for more than 6 months. The Canadian panel of physicians at the embassy will assign you a doctor. Everything is checked, right from your medical history to your eyesight. The medical results are mailed to you, and they have a validity of 12 months. IME fees have to be borne by you.
- Police Certificate- A Police certificate is also one of the Requirements to Study in Canada in 2023. This certificate is required as a background check & proof that you don’t have a criminal background. Visa officers will ascertain your police certificate to find whether you are fit to Study in Canada & process your application faster.
- Statement of Purpose- Statement of Purpose (SOP) is a long essay format (500-1000) words to elaborate your goals of Studying in Canada. You have to justify to your university of choice about why you want to study in Canada & that particular university. Through SOP, universities also check your written English Skills.
- Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC)- GIC is an investment scheme in which all international students who wish to study in Canada are required to deposit their one year’s cost of living into a Canada-based bank. GIC is required to qualify for a student visa.
A minimum investment of CAD 10,000 has been recommended by the Canadian embassy as the GIC amount to qualify for a Canada Student Visa. A student can also deposit between CAD 10,000 to CAD 50,000, any amount between this range, in their respective savings account.
Eligibility Requirements for Bachelor’s & Master’s Degree
- High school transcripts
- 70% in 12th grade
- Passport photocopy
- TOEFL, IELTS, SAT test scores
- GMAT or GRE scores
- Gap letter/Experience letter (if any gap in academics)
- Transfer Certificate
- Education Loan documents
- Visa documents
- Proof of funds
- LORs, SOPs & Essays
International students have to be fully vaccinated with a WHO-approved vaccination against COVID-19. They have also to submit a negative Covid test within 72 hours before boarding a flight. Students can also be selected randomly upon arrival in Canada for COVID-19 test. Fully vaccinated students are also required not to undergo 14-day quarantine.
With the high level of respect Canadian Universities command worldwide, it’s no surprise that more than half a million students have chosen it for overseas education. Studying in Canada benefits you in the form of excellent education, huge job opportunities & a bright future. Considering the success rate of student visas, there is no doubt that you will also get a chance to Study in Canada. However, you’ve to fulfill the Requirements to Study in Canada in 2023. Hope you’ve liked this post. Please share as much as you can.