The changes in study work visa in Australia program has enabled international students to grab numerous benefits. One of the most important changes is the introduction of the post-study work permit or work visa. It will help international students who have completed their graduation degree from an Australian university or college will get opportunities to enrich their academic performance by gaining relevant work experience.
The post-study work visa in Australia provides a great incentive for many students considering study abroad in Australia. Before anything, you must know the following:
- What are the types of post-study work visa in Australia?
The types of post-study work visa in Australia along with some key features have been listed in the table below:
Type of the Visa
|Type of the Visa||Sub-Category||Salient Features|
|Skilled-Recognized Graduate Visa (Subclass 476)||It is applicable for engineering graduates only
· The stay duration for this visa type is up to 18 months
· The processing time for this visa is 8-11 month
· This is a temporary visa type
· This visa type allows you to bring your family with you
|Temporary Graduate Visa (Subclass 485)||Graduate Work Stream||This visa is for recent graduates
· The stay duration for this is up to 18 months
· The processing time for this visa is 90 days to 4 months
· This temporary visa type allows you to bring your family with you
| Post-Study Work Stream
This visa is for recent graduates
· The duration for stay is 2-4 years
· The total processing time is 70-90 days
· With this temporary visa, you can also bring your family with you
Key Requirements for Post-Study Work Visa in Australia
The Department of Home Affairs in the Australian Government has set specific eligibility criteria that need to be fulfilled by you for every type of post-study work visa. Depending on the type of post-study work visa you choose, the requirements may vary. Below, we have given detailed information about the same:
- Skilled-Recognized Graduate Visa (Subclass 476)
This visa type allows you to study, live, work, and travel in Australia. The eligibility details of this visa type have been given here:
- The age of the students should be below 31 years
- The students should have an engineering degree from a specified university or college in the past two years
- The students should not have the same visa or the Temporary Graduate Visa (subclass 485) in the past
- The students should meet the character and health requirements as mentioned
- The students must have English proficiency unless they have a passport from the UK, Ireland, Canada, New Zealand, etc.
Graduate Work Stream
|Post-Study Work Stream|
|The age of the students should be below 50 years||The minimum age should be under 50 years|
|T They should be recent graduates with skills and qualification relevant to occupations specified in the list of skilled occupation||They should have a graduate degree in the course registered under CRICOS|
|They should meet the study requirements of the country like they should be awarded at least 1 degree or diploma of the course registered in the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS) in the past six months||The students should not have any other type of post-study work visa|
|They should have an Australian study visa along with the medium in English||To apply for this type of post-study work visa, a student should have a bachelor’s degree, bachelor’s (hon.) degree, master’s by coursework degree, master’s (extended degree), master’s by research degree or doctoral degree|
|They should have a valid TOEFL, IELTS, PTE, etc. score to prove English proficiency||Students with trade qualifications or diplomas are not eligible for this visa|
|They should meet the character and health requirements as mentioned||The students should have English proficiency proof in the form of scores in IELTS, TOEFL, PTE, etc.|
|They should not have any other post-study work visa||The students should fulfil the character and health requirements as mentioned|
|The applications of students with a cancelled or refused will not be considered|
How to Apply for the Post-Study Work Visa in Australia?
The students who want to apply for any of these post-study work visas can apply it online or offline in the paper form. Since paper form applications come with certain intricacies, it is suggested to consult with an expert like AEC.
To apply online, you will have to visit the official website of the Department of Home Affairs in the Australian Government. After that follow the step-by-step process given below:
- Step 1: Visit the official website of the concerned department and then the webpage of ‘ImmiAccount’
- Step 2: If you are a new user, then click on the ‘Create ImmiAccount’ option or use your credentials i.e. User ID and Password to log in if you are already registered
- Step 3: Fill out all the details in the visa application form and upload/attach all necessary documents
- Step 4: If you are planning to take your family with you, enter their details in the form too
- Step 5: Make the payment as mentioned online by using your credit card and other gateways
Essential Documents for Post-Study Work Visa in Australia
To submit your application successfully, you will need a set of important documents. And these documents are:
- Identity Documents
- Study and Related Documents
- Character and Related Document
- Health Insurance and Related Documents
- Documents of the Partner (If you are taking him or her with you)
- Documents of the Dependants under 18 Years of Age, if needed
- Documents of the Dependants above 18 Years of Age, if needed
Before directly applying for the post-study work visa in Australia or any other country, it is suggested to do thorough research on the same. You can also connect with us as our dedicated team of professionals is familiar with everything.
To know more about Australia’s top-ranked universities and colleges, courses, the admission application process, student visa, pre-departure briefing and post-arrival assistance, scholarships and financial aids, etc., you can give us a call on +91-8448446609 or 011-43334444. You can connect with our team by writing your queries at firstname.lastname@example.org as well.