Everything You Need to Know About Actuarial Science
Are you extremely proficient and numerate in statistics and mathematics? If yes, then nothing is better than actuarial science. It is one of the best career opportunities and demanding fields where options are abundant.
If you are interested in making a career in this field, then you should read this post as we have mentioned everything about actuarial science that you need to know before anything. Let us get started!
What is Actuarial Science?
It is a discipline that applies both mathematical and statistical techniques to complete several tasks including the following:
- To evaluate risk in the finance and insurance industries
- To reduce the loss impact like loss of property through accident, fire, and theft and loss of income through disability, death, and retirement
Who is an Actuary?
An actuary is a combination of mathematician, statistician, technical expert, and financier. These professionals possess a well-rounded business approach to solve various problems. They help businesses improve financial decision-making by providing appropriate models to evaluate the financial, economic, and other business-related applications. In simplest terms, an actuary is the professionals who help businesses prepare for the upcoming challenges.
Job Responsibilities of an Actuary
An actuary is the backbone of the financial and insurance industries. The area of work for these professionals is quite extensive. And some responsibilities of these professionals include the following:
- They design a new insurance scheme
- They estimate the impact of Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) in the banking and insurance sectors
- They calculate the risk of severe deflation and inflation in financial industries
- They determine the price for crop insurance policies
- They estimate the loss of property through fire and related reasons
- They determine the monetary value of a company in an acquisition and merger
- They determine the earthquake’s cost
- They calculate the cost to charge for insuring satellite launches
Popular Areas Where Actuaries Work
These professionals are key players in an organization. The following are the sectors or fields or areas where they are needed the most:
- Financial and banking institutions
- Health, life, casualty, and property insurance companies
- Consulting firms
- Government agencies
- Analytics firms
- Universities/colleges and other educational institutions
Essential Skills to Become an Efficient Actuary
To become a successful professional in this field, you will need certain skills. And these include:
- Effective communication skills (both verbal and written)
- Strong computer skills
- Impressive knowledge of accounting, finance, and economics
- Specialized knowledge of statistics and mathematics
- Strong project management, problem-solving, and analytical skills
Why Actuarial Science?
Actuarial science is a promising field that offers multiple career opportunities. In addition to this, the following are the reasons for choosing:
- Rewards: It is one of the best and highest-paid professions in the world. If you want to get a highly competitive salary along with excellent benefits, this field is for you.
- Earn While Learn: Not all courses give you earning opportunities while learning but this course does. You can get a good job as a budget analyst or actuarial even after clearing only one or two papers.
- Diversified Work: This course provides you with several opportunities to learn something new daily. This is one of the reasons why these professionals can work in a wide variety of domains like insurance, banking, investment banking, pensions, and compensation.
- Strong Role: These professionals can make a significant difference in an organization. They play an important role in business decisions. They help organizations improve financial decision making by creating effective models to evaluate financial, economics, and other business-related applications.
- Job Satisfaction: The work of these professionals is challenging as well as interesting. These professionals are in high demand all around the world with higher job satisfaction not only in terms of money but in working environment.
How to Become an Actuary?
To become an actuary, you will need a bachelor’s or a master’s degree with mathematics or the following subjects must constitute mathematical subjects:
- Mathematics or any of its branches
- Computer Science
- Statistics or any of its sub-classifications
- Any discipline or branch of engineering
- Science or similar subjects like physics and its branches
Interested to know about actuarial science but do not know which country is the best? Get in touch with AEC. Here, we have a team of highly skilled and dedicated team members to help you explore and shortlist the best-fit options. We provide consultation for countries like the UK, Canada, Australia, Ireland, New Zealand, Singapore, Japan, and many others.
For admission application, study visa, or any other query, get in with us by calling on +91-8448446609 or 011-43334444 or simply connect with us by writing your queries at email@example.com. You can also book your FREE counselling session with our dedicated consultants.