How to Choose the Right Student Accommodation Abroad?
Studying abroad and living away from home are significant life changes for foreign students. You can lessen its effects by finding a home away from home. While housing is a crucial component of studying abroad, several foreign students prefer to put off booking housing until the last minute while making travel arrangements, applying for visas, and preparing for acceptance. Explore your accommodation possibilities as soon as you obtain your admission offer. You will have time to consider all of your options as a result. As a result, you may select the option that best suits your needs, both in terms of accessibility and price. Through this blog, we are going to discuss student accommodation abroad and also some little things about overseas education. Let’s discuss some things about overseas education before discussing student accommodation.
Benefits of Studying abroad
- One of the most advantageous opportunities for a freshman may be studying abroad. Students who study abroad have the chance to discover local culture and tourist sites while studying in a foreign place.
- The chance to travel the world is the main justification for considering an overseas education program. You will discover a whole different culture with amazing new viewpoints, traditions, and sports by studying abroad. The chance to see new landscapes, natural marvels, galleries, and landmarks in your host country is one of the advantages of Overseas Education.
- You could think about going overseas to study in order to explore various educational systems. By enrolling in a study abroad program, you will have the opportunity to explore a component of your major that you would not have had exposure to at home. The only choice is to thoroughly acclimate to the academic culture of your host country. You’ll learn how to comprehend and appreciate the persons, their customs, and their history completely. Since the main focus of any study abroad program is education, choosing the correct institution is crucial. Any study abroad trip’s main goal is to further one’s education.
- It’s likely that learning another language will be one of the main draws of overseas education for any student. Studying abroad gives you the opportunity to accomplish this, and there is no faster method to learn a language. Your host institution will probably offer language classes to provide you a more formal education in addition to the sign language practice you will already acquire from daily living. Go beyond a simple academic experience by becoming immersed in a different culture.
- After completing your overseas education program, you’ll have a fresh outlook on culture, language proficiency, a top-notch education, and an eagerness to learn when you return home. Naturally, all of these are quite sought-after by potential employers. Many foreign students fall in love with their host country and decide to search for work there after graduation. If you can identify with that nation, you will discover that having a local education will be quite helpful while looking for a future career there.
- Nothing compares to being by yourself in a new place. You can find that attending a university abroad really brings out your independence. Studying abroad enables students to take use of their natural curiosity and enthusiasm by exploring their host nation. One benefit of studying abroad is the ability to learn about oneself while absorbing a new culture. Being alone in an unfamiliar setting can be frightening at times, and it tests your ability to adapt and solve problems.
Types of student accommodation abroad
There are basically 2 types of student accommodation abroad which have different types in it and those two are on-campus and off-campus student accommodation.
- On-Campus accommodation- The most common and preferred type of student accommodation abroad is on-campus accommodation. Living on campus offers several advantages. Due to its location on campus, it is convenient to university buildings you will use regularly throughout your stay, including the library, study spaces, the gym, classes, and any school-hosted social activities. Although some on-campus housing may be a bit remote from the university’s major buildings, there is typically a shuttle service accessible for students in the campus area. Accommodations on campus are thought to be safer, and each on-campus building has a leader known as the don who can assist you with any worries you might have.
A student can locate a variety of on-campus accommodations, including:
- Dormitory- These are also referred to as dormitories and are more common among first-year students. You can choose between a single dorm with one bed and a double dorm with two beds, depending on availability. Typically, a bed, mattress, desk, chair, and closet are included in the price of a dormitory. The bathroom, living room, and kitchen are all integrated. For students living in dormitories, meal plans are frequently offered.
- Apartments- Apartments provide you with the option of having your own bedroom or sharing it with a roommate. You may have a single bedroom or a unit with up to five beds, together with a shared kitchen and living space. They may or may not be furnished depending on the amenities provided and the rental cost.
- Off-campus- Off-Campus Accommodation – This term refers to housing that is located away from a university. Off-campus student housing is situated distant from the college.
Two types of off-campus student accommodation are-
- Rent or Subtle- Similar to an apartment where you can choose to live alone or with roommates, this is similar. You may either look for sublets, which is effectively subletting from someone else, or you can rent a new lease, which is often for six to twelve months, if you’re relocating overseas for a shorter period of time. The length of a sublet’s lease might be anywhere from a few months to a year. You may choose between a furnished or an unfurnished apartment, while unfurnished apartments could be a bit challenging for new international students.
- Homestays- Homestay is essentially living with a host family while traveling, and it’s a wonderful way to meet people and develop friends. It also gives you an opportunity to improve your grasp of the local language. Homestays nearly always have separate bathrooms and furniture. The host family and the guests share the living space and kitchen. Using the dinner service provided by the host family is an option. The majority of foreign families are delighted to welcome international students, so overall it’s a nice and comfortable stay, but you should take caution while choosing a homestay. Students who opt to live in a homestay will, unless they’re lucky, face a 30- to 1-hour daily journey to campus.
The total cost involved in student accommodation abroad
Here are some rough cost estimates to help students make decisions. The cost will vary depending on the location, the placement fee charged by the institution or school, and whether or not a meal plan (for on-campus and homestay) is included.
Every academic year, the average price of on-campus accommodation fluctuates from $3000 to $7500.
- Off-campus accommodation ranges in price from $900 to $2,000 a month, utilities included or not. Large cities like Toronto, New York, London, Dublin, etc. frequently have higher prices.
- The price of a house stay is between $400 and $800 a month.