What are the requirements to get admission in Canada for higher studies?
Are you interested in Canada for higher studies? If Yes, then you are also one of the thousands of students from India who wish to Study in Canada. With the world’s 9th largest economy, Canada offers vast job opportunities to Indian students graduating from Canada. It’s easy immigration & student-friendly policies have already made Canada the third most preferred destination for international students. Canada is also one of the most preferred overseas education destinations for Indian Students due to its affordable high standard of education. If you are one of those students from India planning to Study Abroad in Canada, then this blog post is for you. Check it out below!
Why Study in Canada?
- Reasonable Tuition fees
- Globally recognised universities
- Lowest unemployment rate
- Vast Research Universities
- Multi-Cultural Environment
- Safest & most comfortable country
- Part-time work opportunities
- Post studies work opportunities
Study in Canada: Eligibility Requirements for Undergraduate programs
- A 10+2 pass mark sheet with a minimum of 65% marks scored
- English proficiency test (IELTS/TOEFL) score
- IELTS score of 6.5 with a minimum score of 6 in each band
Study in Canada: Eligibility Requirements for Postgraduate programs
- A four-year education after completing 10+2
- Minimum GPA of 3.0 at an undergraduate degree
- A Valid IELTS/TOEFL test scores (English Proficiency Test Scores)
- Many universities & colleges in Canada asks for GRE scores
- Minimum GMAT score of 550 for admission to MBA programmes
Documents Requirement to Study in Canada
- Attested transcripts of Class X, XII, and if applicable Bachelor’s degree
- Two academic references letters from your ex-professors
- Two Letters of Recommendations (LORs) from your ex. Employers/managers who can give good comments about your professional capabilities
- Statement of Purpose (SOP) essay
- Updated CV/Resumes
- IELTS/GMAT/GRE scores
- Portfolio (for those students applying for arts & design courses, & architecture program)
- Extra-curricular activities/achievements/certificates
- Proof of funds (to support your education)
- Medical Tests Reports
Statement of Purpose (SOP) – Statement of Purpose provides your Introduction to college admission officers. Always write the SOP in 1st person. SOP describes the reasons for choosing a particular course from a particular university. Through the Statement of Purpose Essay, you have to justify why the college should give admission to you and why you are a perfect applicant for the college. The style of writing can vary from formal to casual but SOP should clearly & accurately present your personality to the university
Letters of Recommendations (LORs) – LORs are written generally by third-parties (your ex-managers, ex-employers, or even your ex-professors) describing unique qualities, characteristics, and capabilities of an applying student to recommend him to the college for admission. LORs showcase a prospective student’s ability to perform a particular task or job.
Essays – Essays are also an important part of the university admission process and have to be submitted by students. A prospective student may be asked to write one or two essays. Common topics can be given on career aspirations, skills, life experiences, & strengths & weakness.
Exams Requirement to Study in Canada
- Language Exams- The International English Language Testing System (IELTS), Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), and Pearson Test of English (PTE) are all standardized English language proficiency tests needed to be taken for admission into Canadian Universities. These all tests have one common purpose to test the English language proficiency of the candidate. Universities in Canada can ask for any one of these tests.
- How many times can it be taken?
IELTS, TOEFL, & PTE can be retaken as many times as desired but the gap period between two consecutive TOEFL exams can’t be less than 12 days.
Fees- Registration fee for IELTS is INR 15,500 (approx.), INR 15,180 (approx.) for TOEFL exam, INR 14,700 (approx.) for PTE exam.
|Exam||Minimum Score Requirement|
|TOEFL||For undergraduate courses– 79 & above|
For master’s programs– 80 & above
|IELTS||Overall score of 6.5 required with minimum of 6.0 required in each – Reading, Speaking, Listening, & Writing|
|GMAT||Average GMAT score required by business schools in Canada is 550|
|GRE||An average GRE score between 300 & 315 is required for admission into reputed Canadian Universities|
The requirement to Canada for higher studies – Student Visa
After you receive the offer letter from the University, start applying for a Canadian student visa. Following are the document requirements for Student Visa to Study in Canada:
- Original Letter of Acceptance from the University
- Valid Passport photocopy
- Proof of funds to support your studies
- Transcripts of your diplomas, degrees, & certificates
- Scores from IELTS, TOEFL, GRE, GMAT, & SAT scores
How are you going to pay all your educational, travel, & living costs?
- Medical Exam for Student Visa- Every Indian student has to undergo a compulsory medical test for the Canadian Student Visa application process. You have no authority to appoint your own doctor for medical tests. Only those doctors who are on the panel of approved physicians provided on the official Canada immigration website http://www.cic.gc.ca/ can examine you. The doctor sends the results directly to the CIC website after the completion of medical exams. You have the option to undergo a medical exam before and after the visa application.
How to Apply to Canada for higher studies?
- Choose the course in which you want to take admission
- Check which university is offering that course and what is the eligibility criteria for that?
- Find out the admission process of that university and when will it start?
- Upload all your required documents to the universities of your choice
- Submit the application form
- Pay the prescribed fees
- Start preparing for the video interview with the university
- If you clear the interview, you’ll receive the letter of acceptance from the OR university
- After receiving offer letter from the university to Study in Canada, pay the deposit
Top Universities to Study in Canada
|Universities||Times Universities Ranking (2022)|
|University of Toronto||18|
|University of British Columbia||37|
|University of Montreal||88|
|University of Alberta||125|
|University of Ottawa||162|
Most of the Students from India consider Canada as their preferred choice for higher studies. Through its attractive post-graduation work permit program & permanent residency (PR) for Indian & International students, Canada has plenty of jobs to offer. Hope this blog post has answered all questions coming in your mind regarding eligibility requirements for an Indian student to Study in Canada. Please share and like this blog!
Read More- Top 10 MBA Colleges in Canada without GMAT