Top 10 MBA Colleges in Canada without GMAT
Can you even study MBA in Canada without GMAT? Yes, It’s possible! MBA in Canada generally requires a GMAT score to be submitted. However, there are some MBA Colleges in Canada without GMAT, where admission is made on the basis of applicant’s academic & professional history, motivations, goals & his work experience. If you also want to pursue an MBA in Canada without GMAT, this blog is for you. In this blog, we’ll cover the Top 10 MBA Colleges in Canada without GMAT and try to answer all the related questions.
MBA in Canada– Admission Requirements
One of the major requirements for an MBA in Canada is a GMAT score. Universities that offer GMAT waivers generally ask for GRE test scores as a replacement. The average GMAT score required for an MBA in Canada is around 550. However, the best universities in Canada ask for a higher than 550 GMAT score to admit the best one only. If English is not the first language of the applicant, then the student has to also submit the English Language Proficiency test scores (IELTS/TOEFL) besides GMAT/GRE scores.
Here are the most common requirements for MBA colleges:
- Bachelor’s degree – Applicant has to submit proof of an undergraduate degree in a related subject from a recognized university.
- Work Experience – The applicant’s resume or CV should reflect at least 2 years of work experience.
- GMAT Scores – Most of the MBA Colleges in Canada ask for GMAT scores of 550-600. Prestigious universities even ask for higher GMAT scores.
- IELTS/TOEFL Scores– International students whose first language is not English have to submit IELTS/TOEFL scores as a proof of their English Language Proficiency tests. The average admission score for TOEFL required is a minimum 100 (20 score in each section). Similarly, for IELTS, average score required is 6.5-7.0 (with a minimum of 6.0 in each band section)
MBA in Canada – Document Requirements
- Academic Marksheets (Minimum 3.0 GPA)
- Letters of Recommendations (LORs from previous employers)
- Statement of Purpose (SOP)
- Proof of funds
- Student Visa
Can I Do an MBA in Canada Without GMAT?
Yes, a student can get admitted for an MBA in Canada without GMAT scores. However, this option applies to those students only who have exceptional academic & professional achievements, thus eliminating the need for GMAT scores. Alternatively, some universities may ask for GRE test scores or there in-house tests in place of GMAT scores.
To be eligible for a GMAT waiver, a student has to satisfy other admission requirements for an MBA in Canada. Let’s check out some of the other main admission requirements to apply for an MBA in Canada without GMAT:
- GRE Test Scores
- IELTS/TOEFL Test Scores
- A GPA average of higher than 3.0 in an undergraduate degree
- A Minimum of 2 years work experience
- Letters of Recommendations from previous employers (2 or more)
- Academic & Professional experience Resume/CV
List of Top 10 MBA Colleges in Canada without GMAT
- Smith School of Business at Queen’s University– This prestigious university is one of the few universities in Canada that offer an MBA without a GMAT. Instead, your application is evaluated based on work experience, academic background (bachelor’s degree), and your leadership skills. Main requirements:
- Minimum GPA of 3.0 or B average grade in any undergraduate degree in business, commerce, or related subjects.
- At least 2 years of work experience post-study.
- Lakehead University– A student can also enroll for an MBA at Lakehead University without GMAT, provided he has completed the Business Skills Development Program organized by the Faculty of Business Administration. Main requirements:
- A 4-year undergraduate degree course from a recognized board, university, or an institute.
- Minimum B grade or second class obtained in an undergraduate degree.
- A Statement of Purpose essay to demonstrate the academic & professional experience, his strengths & weakness & career goals. SOP should be between 750 to 1000 words.
- A CV showing 2 years of total work experience.
- Schulich School of Business–York University– Schulich School of Business is also one of the Top 10 MBA Colleges in Canada without GMAT. Both GMAT or GRE scores are waived if you have achieved a B+ grade average in your undergraduate degree. Other main requirements are:
- Minimum of 2 years of work experience post-graduation
- Submission of 5 essays, CVs, 2 Letters of Recommendation, & Academic Transcripts
- Minimum IELTS score of 7.0 or TOEFL score of 100 IBT in English proficiency test scores
- Thompson Rivers University– Thompson Rivers University gives priority to the quantitative & computing skills of a candidate rather than on the GMAT scores. In place of GMAT score, a candidate is required to submit his TOEFL score. Additional requirements:
- A three or four-year undergraduate degree in any discipline from a recognized board or university with B+ average.
- Minimum IELTS test score of 7.0 with 6.5 score in each band.
- Alternatively, a TOEFL score of 547 is also acceptable.
- The Pearson Test of English (PTE) is also valid with a minimum overall score of 68 and all sections should be above 62.
- A background in Algebra & statistics is also preferred with knowledge of quantitative skills
- Letter of Intent
- New York Institute of Technology– GMAT score is not required if you have scored a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above. Other admission requirements are:
- 4-year undergraduate degree
- A cumulative GPA of 3.0/4.0
- Minimum IELTS score of 6.0 or at least 79 on TOEFL IBT
- Ivey Business School– As a part of the Western University, known for its distinguished teaching methods. They provide a work-like environment for its MBA students. They give GMAT waiver to students who have scored more than 160 in LSAT or who have cleared the three levels of the Chartered Financial Analyst Exam.
- Wilfrid Laurier University– As part of Wilfrid Laurier University, it is one of the most competitive MBA Colleges in Canada. Offers various specializations to choose from like Accounting, Marketing, Human Resources, Entrepreneurship, & Financial Management. GMAT requirement will be waived if the candidate scores an equivalent of 550 GMAT scores converted to GRE format. GMAT requirement is also waived in case of CFA Level 1 score. Other General requirements:
- 4-year undergraduate degree
- DeGroote Business School– DeGroote Business School is one of the top MBA Colleges in Canada without GMAT. It is a part of McMaster University. Post-completion of their MBA programs, students are also offered internship programs. Students who want to take admitted into full-time MBA programs have to submit GMAT/GRE Scores. GMAT waiver is only applied in the case of the Accelerated MBA program, for scoring higher than the minimum GPA required.
- Vancouver Island University– The MBA program at Vancouver Island University is full of opportunities and trains students in the required skills to join the corporate world and make connections. It takes 1 to 2 years to complete the course and a four-month summer internship is also provided as part of the curriculum. Main specializations are offered in Finance, Marketing, Accounting, & Technology. No GMAT exam is needed to appear for admission to the MBA College.
- Whitman School of Business– This is also one of the MBA Colleges in Canada without GMAT. It trains students in the skills to solve real world problems. Offers many specialization options like Accounting, Finance, Marketing, Real Estate & Supply chain management. The GMAT score submission is optional but it is recommended for students with low GPA.
Canada is a proper destination for MBA with a vibrant job market for MBA graduates. MBA in Canada is popular because of a guarantee of a job opportunity and a decent salary. Most of the Canadian colleges & universities ask for GMAT scores. However, under certain conditions based on individual university rules & applicant’s professional & academic history, GMAT score is waived. We hope this blog post Top 10 MBA Colleges in Canada without GMAT has provided all the required details. Please like and share this blog!