Higher Education in Ireland- IELTS, Intakes, Universities, Programs
After the UK, Ireland is one of Europe’s top locations for overseas education. With an exceptional quality of life, peace and a vibrant culture, Ireland is increasingly becoming a top choice for higher studies. Ireland has one of the best education systems in the world. International students in Ireland have to meet certain standards & assessments of English language skills for their studies. To ensure a successful application for admission, you’ve to fulfill the requirements of IELTS Score in Ireland for your university of choice. An IELTS Academic score is needed to obtain an Irish student visa and secure an admission to an Irish University. If you’ve finally decided to Study in Ireland and wish to know the IELTS Score Requirements to pursue Higher Education in Ireland, get started with this blog!
Why Study in Ireland?
- Education– One of the world’s best with a focus on research
- Friendly people & culture– Welcome students all around the world
- Safety– Consistent rank in World’s top 20 for quality of life and security
- Career– Get a great start to a successful career after graduation
- Vibrant City– Vibrant City life
Higher Education in Ireland
Today Higher Education in Ireland provides excellent courses and degree programmes for international students of all ages. Most of the institutes of higher education receive government funding. It means that the educational standards of higher education in Ireland are of top quality and students graduating from here will have a competitive advantage over students from other parts of the world.
- Types of Higher Education Institutes in Ireland
- University- There are a total of 7 Universities in Ireland. Both undergraduate and postgraduate degree programs are offered across a broad range of subjects. Irish universities also have facilities in international offices to help international students adjust to academic studies and get them involved in social activities on campus.
- Institute of Technology- Ireland has a total of 14 Institutes of technology which offer various training degree programmes in the areas of business, science, technology, engineering, mathematics & linguistics. The various Institutes of Technology provide various certificates, diplomas, & degree programs in different courses. Entry requirements may vary from courses to courses.
- College of Education- The College of Education provides specialized training to students who wish to become teachers. These colleges are offering either a 3-year Bachelor of Education or 18 months Post Graduate Diploma in Education.
- Private College- Private colleges are only concerned with providing specialist training and education in areas of study like medicine, business studies, law, agriculture, & vocational training.
- Types of Degrees to Study in Ireland
- Undergraduate- Bachelor’s degree programs take around 3 to 4 years to complete and are studied in a general field of study. Some specialized fields like dentistry, veterinary sciences, & architecture take around 5 years to complete. Depending on the area of study, you may receive a bachelor’s degree as a general degree or an Honors degree.
- Postgraduate- Postgraduate degrees are awarded in the form of postgraduate diploma, master’s diploma or a PhD. Postgraduate programs are either offered as teaching or research-based.
- Postgraduate diplomas are more vocationally-oriented and directly linked to professional training.
- Master degrees include both coursework & thesis and generally of 1 to 2 years duration
- PhD degrees are of longest duration and take around a minimum of 3 years to complete.
Admission Intakes to Study in Ireland
Lets’ see the admission intakes for higher education in Ireland for Irish universities
IELTS Test to Study in Ireland
IELTS is an English Proficiency test that is required to be taken by students who desire to study in an English-speaking country such as Ireland. The IELTS test measures the English communication abilities in four areas such as Reading, Writing, Speaking, & Listening. The IELTS exam is taken in two modes: Paper-based or Computer-based. Students receive IELTS band scores of 1 to 9 based on the above four areas of Reading, Writing, Speaking, & Listening. 1 is the lowest score and 2 is the highest score. The average IELTS score required by Irish Universities is 6.5. Keep in mind that IELTS Score is valid only for 2 years from the date of declaration of results.
- IELTS Score Requirements to Study in Ireland- IELTS Score requirements vary from University to University and also on the choice of the program. Let’s check out the IELTS score requirements for different degree programs:
|Degree Programs||IELTS Requirement|
|Higher Diploma programs||6.0|
|Post Graduate Diploma||6.0-6.5|
- IELTS Score Requirements for a Student Visa- The minimum IELTS score requirements to become eligible for a student visa is 5.0. However, achieving the minimum IELTS score requirements for a student visa doesn’t guarantee you an admission into Irish Universities. Generally, the IELTS score requirements for universities and specific courses are higher than IELTS scores for a Student visa.
- IELTS Score Requirements for Top Universities in Ireland
|Trinity College Dublin||Undergraduate: 6.5 (no individual band score should be less than 6.0) Postgraduate: Minimum 6.5Medical & Dental Courses: 7.0 (no individual band score less than 7.0)|
|National University of Ireland, Galway||All courses: 6.5 (no individual band score less than 5.5)Medicine Courses: 6.5 (no individual band score less than 6.5)|
|Dublin City University||All courses: 6.5 (no individual band score less than 6.0) Dublin Business School (6.5 with individually 6.5 in speaking & writing)|
|University College Dublin||All courses: 6.5 (no individual band score less than 6.0)|
|University College Cork||Undergraduate: 6.5 (no individual band score less than 6.0)Postgraduate: 6.5 (no individual band score less than 6.0)|
|Technological University Dublin||All courses: 6.0 (no individual band score less than 6.0)|
|University of Limerick||All courses: 6.5 (no individual band score less than 6.0)|
- IELTS Fee: Rs 15,500 for registration
- IELTS Score Range: 1 (lowest) to 9 (highest)
Study in Ireland without IELTS
There are some exemptions & alternatives to Study in Ireland without IELTS. There are some Irish universities who do not need IELTS scores to apply for admission. An applicant can use an alternative Language Grading system provided by universities for admission. Let’ see some of the alternative choices for IELTS provided by Irish universities:
- Cambridge Proficiency
- Cambridge Advanced
- PTE academic
- Can take any of the language course provided in the university
Top Universities to Study in Ireland without IELTS
- National University of Ireland
- Maynooth University
- Royal college of Surgeons in Ireland
- University of Limerick
International students aspiring to Study in Ireland need to submit English Proficiency test scores. To successfully secure an admission into an Irish University, you’ve to successfully demonstrate English proficiency skills. Appearing for the IELTS test is the first step towards your journey of admission in Irish University. This blog has provided all the details of Requirements of IELTS Score in Ireland. This will help you to secure your dream of studying in Ireland. Liked this blog! Please share it!